The basis for this recipe originates from Hungary which I modified to make it easier to cook. This hearty mushroom cream soup is the perfect dish for a cold fall day and is light so no need to worry about bloating.
500g white button mushrooms
2 tbsp butter/margarine
2 small onions
1 garlic clove
1 tbsp of Hungarian paprika
2 tsp lemon juice
3 tbsp white flour
250ml chicken/beef stock
120g sour cream
1. Add 2 tbsp of butter to a deeper pot and warm up on medium heat so the butter will melt.
While you are waiting for the butter to melt finely chop the onions, as for the garlic, chop it up and crush it until you have a nice white paste.
When the butter is melted add the onions and garlic paste into the pot. Saute the onion for around 5 minutes or until it becomes translucent.
2. Now add the mushrooms and salt to taste.
After 5 minutes of cooking throw in a tbsp of paprika (or to taste) and a tsp of dill weed.
Cook for another 10 minutes on medium heat.
3. It is time that this dish becomes a true cream soup
Add 3 tbsp of white flour and 2 tsp of lemon juice, mix it in.
Cover the pot and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
Tip: When adding flour, don’t add all at once. If you do you will get ugly lumps in your cream soup.
4. After the 5 minutes have passed pour 250 ml of chicken/beef stock, and mix.
If you don’t have stock feel free to use stock cubes, they also get the job done.
Cover the pot, cook for another 10 minutes and you are done with cooking.
5. Remove the pot.
While the cream soup is piping hot, add 250ml of milk and 120g of sour cream and mix, add pepper to taste.
6. If you want some added flavor in your cream soup you can finely chop some parsley and top your plate as I did on the picture (sorry for the bad quality).