As the title says this is a Vegan Penne Alla Puttanesca which differs from the original recipe which contains anchovies.
If enough people are interested I will also make the original dish.
Pasta Alla Puttanesca or prostitute pasta is a dish that was invented in Napoli in the 20th century.
I am not joking the Italian word puttaneska literally translates to “of, relating to, or characteristic of a prostitute,”.
Courtesans in that time favored this dish because it was easy to make between appointments, also one of the reasons is that the dish smelled so good it just lured the clients in from the streets.
PENNE ALLA PUTTANESCA INGREDIENTS (serves 3 persons):
250g Penne pasta
300ml Tomato sauce
1/2 tsp of Salt
1 clove of Garlic (crushed)
8 – 10 Green or Black olives (pitted)
1 1/2 tsp of Capers
TIME TO MAKE
Preparing the ingredients: 5 minutes
Cooking: 10 – 15 minutes
Total: 15 – 20 minutes
1. Take a large pot and pour the water, tomato sauce, and salt.
Turn the heat to high and wait for the sauce to boil.
2. While the sauce is boiling, cut the olives and capers in half. As for the mushrooms cut them however you like.
3. When the sauce is boiling add garlic, olives, capers, mushrooms, and pasta into the pot.
4. Wait for the sauce to start boiling again. When that happens lower the heat to a medium for about 10 – 15 minutes.
5. While the dish is cooking, stir the pasta a couple of times so that is doesn’t stick to the bottom and that the sauce distributes evenly.
NOTE: If you want a more THICCER sauce the pasta should cook for about 15 minutes (give or take)
6. After 10 – 15 minutes remove the dish from the heat.
Add a pinch of oregano and basil, then stir the dish one more time.
Cover the dish and let it rest for 5 minutes, so the sauce can stabilize.
If you want your sauce to be a bit runnier, just add more water.
7. Enjoy your Vegan Penne Alla Puttanesca.