The American omelette is a simple dish that you can make with almost anything that you have in the fridge and is a excellent pick for a good morning.
2 – 3 eggs
2 tbs. of cold water
1 – 2 tsp. of margarine or butter
pinch of oregano
pinch of grounded cumin
pinch of basil
pinch of powdered garlic
and pinch of chill powdered
add anything you like: ham, mushrooms, cheddar cheese…
For this omelette I used 4 pieces of thinly sliced pork ham.
NOTE: If you are making this omelette for one person it is best to use a non – stick pan with 15 cm diameter, but any pan you have will do.
MAKING THE OMELETTE
1. Put the spices into a small cup.
2. Crack the eggs into a bowl. Then add two tbs of cold water into the bowl and spices. Now beat the eggs for about a minute, until they are thoroughly blended, like on the pictures.
3. Heat the pan on medium heat for a couple of minutes. The add butter/margarine and let it melt so it can coat the pan.
4. Now pour the egg mixtures on the pan.
5. Gently shake the pan so the eggs are evenly heated, the eggs should be a bit “runny” at this stage. When there is no runny mass add the preferred stuffing. Now flip one side of the omeltte on the other side with a non stick spatula so that you make a half-moon. Pour the omelette into a plate.
If you did everything like I said you should get something like this.
NOTE: You will hear the terms American and French omelette, it is basically the same thing, the difference is that the American omelette is heated longer than the French one. I will also cover the French omelette also.